Friday, May 20, 2011

Randy Savage dies in car accident

Randy Savage died today in a car accident in Florida. He was 58.

Savage's brother, Leaping Lanny Poffo, stated that Savage had a heart attack while driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler causing him to crash into a tree. Savage's wife Lynn was in the vehicle at the time, and made it out with only minor injuries according to TMZ.com

I was definitely shocked to hear about his death. The first I heard of it came from a Tweet posted by Hulk Hogan earlier today. Soon after it was confirmed, many wrestlers took to Twitter to express their sadness of the loss.

Just last weekend, at the CWI event in Brantford, Ontario, where I took the first Hulk Hogan immortal back tattoo picture, I saw Savage's brother Lanny Poffo.


Leaping Lanny Poffo, brother of Randy Macho Man Savage, on May 14 at the CWI show in Brantford Ontario


In honesty, I didn't recognize him at first. Lanny Poffo has changed drastically since his days as "The Genius." I actually saw him while I was standing in line to get a hot dog. He was walking up to the merchandise table, and I was in his way. I knew he had to be a wrestler, because he was wearing a t-shirt, trunks, and wrestling boots. The lack of knee pads stood out.

I moved out of his way to let him through, and he sort of smiled on his way by. I'm sure he knew that I had no idea who he was, which is why he was freely walking through the crowd of people.

I didn't know who he was until he came out on team Beefcake for the legends Survivor Series match and they announced him as Leaping Lanny Poffo. I was amazed. Despite his look, Lanny still pulled off a moonsault before injuring his knee and having to leave the match.

Looking back on the moment where I saw him while waiting for my hot dog, I wish I had of said hello. Asked him how he was doing and what's new with his brother the Macho Man. I know it wouldn't make any difference today, but I wish I could have spoke to him at a happier time.

Lanny, I am sorry for your loss. The world has lost one of the best wrestlers of the 80's and 90's.

Macho Man, you will be missed.

1 comment: